Sunday, January 27, 2008

Metabolic syndrome and psychiatric medications

I've been busy videotaping a home study course in my home office, but today it's pouring rain and I don't have enough light. It's a good time to get caught up on blogging.

One of the reasons I designed the home study course I'm videotaping is because of the rapid increase in the use of psychiatric medications for more than purely psychiatric reasons. The metabolic side effects of these medications caught a lot of health professionals off guard. Most nutrition professionals do not anticipate that they will be working in psychiatry when they decide to enter the field.

So people come into their office for help losing weight, and as well-intended as the professional in that office might be...they don't have all the information they need in order to provide the right kind of help.

Many psychiatric medications cause hormone changes, high cholesterol, diabetes, weight gain, and other changes. In women, this cluster of problems can also cause infertility. If you're reading this blog and it sounds like you might benefit from more information on eating well when you have this combination of problems to manage, I wanted to let you know about a second blog that I write. Its original intent is for women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), the infertility syndrome I just described. But the information is also very pertinent to others who may not be female or who may not be worried about fertility.

If you're interested, please visit us! www.incyst.blogspot.com

No comments: