Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What's in your water? And your soap, and your mascara, and your kitchen cleaner...

Since you're reading this post, you're online, and that likely means you've heard the "big" news about what's been found in our water. It's not really new news, but it's important news to pay attention to.

There's a lot of stuff in our water that shouldn't be. And it's been affecting the health of other species for a very long time. There are a whole lot of chemicals in our world that mimic hormones and cause a plethora of health problems. They get into the water too. These compounds are found in most cosmetics (which is why I am beginning to collaborate with Arbonne), many cleaning solvents, inks, fertilizers, paints, basically any chemical that was not known to man before 1900.

It's been a secondary mission of mine to create awareness of this issue, through the connection that these compounds affect hormone balance, which in turn affect mood, fertility, risk of heart disease and diabetes.....etc....etc....etc.

It didn't feel so great to see this on the news yesterday, but it did feel wonderful that a message I've been trying to get out there with my limited resources as a small business person was finally getting major attention. And in an election year, too! So maybe someone will finally grab onto it in a meaningful way. It's not a topic as glamorous as Iraq, or the economy, or what seems to be the political topic du jour...and grotesque birth defects and infertility are not the kind of things that give a candidate pretty, election-winning sound bites. But the issue affects each and every one of us, every day, in some pretty significant ways. I'm very distressed at the number of medications we have placed ourselves on, the rise in infertility, and the medical problems I now see in young people that used to be considered diseases of old age. It's no wonder the residual from that is showing up outside of our bodies.

I really hate the fact that this issue likely means job security for me. I'm trying to put myself out of business so I can improve my golf game!!!

This is not my area of expertise, it's merely a point of interest and something I am committed to providing awareness of. The website I've used for years, which is well researched and referenced, is http://e.hormone.tulane.edu. (Note there is no "www" in the URL.) They even have an annual conference on the topic, which I aspire to get to one of these days.

Maybe I'll see you there.

No comments: