Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In honor of National Registered Dietitian Day

Today, my post is devoted to a special project promoting registered dietitians. I am cohosting, with dietitian Renata Mangrum, the first-ever Registered Dietitian blogfest, aimed at showcasing to the Internet-surfing public the many things dietitians do and can do to help you with your quest for help. Listed below my entry is a list of links to other blogs written by other dietitians that you can visit to see the many things my friends and colleagues do within this profession.

I started this blog when I noticed, over time, that a vast amount of research regarding the relationship between nutrition and mental health existed in the National Library of Medicine database...but it wasn't making it to the public. My guess is that is because nutritional answers to brain and nervous system problems are not nearly as profitable to spend money marketing as medications.

That doesn't mean there is not a need to get this information to where it is needed--the screens of blog readers like you!

I was surprised and excited to see how quickly blog traffic to this publication grew. One of my favorite things to do is to read research and find items to share with all of you.

I can't think of anything better I could be devoting my work and my career to. I hope you enjoy our blog...and I hope you enjoy getting to know some of the many colleagues participating in our blogfest today!

Warmest regards,

Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD

8 comments:

Anthony Sepe said...

Hi Monika,
Happy RD Day to you. Thank you for the firs-ever Blogfest Carnaival, which is a success. Also, thank you for doing this blog, as it is very important to me. I love it. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Anthony
http://fromadietitiansperspective.blogspot.com
http://www.medicalnutritiontherapyservice.com

Annette Colby, PhD, RD said...

Dear Monika,

You have always been a trusted source to me and others as you continue to provide relevant information regarding the relationship between nutrition and mental health.

Thank you for all that you do and all that you are. Happy National Registered Dietitian's Day!

With joy,
Annette Colby, PhD, RD
www.AnnetteColby.com

Kathie said...

Monika,
I am always seeking ways to understand and reach my clients. Your articles on the brain and mental health have been extremely helpful to me and my clients with eating disorders. Thanks for sharing and interpreting the data and Happy RD day to you too!
Kathie Mattison,MS,RD,LD
Eating Experts

Kathie said...

Monika,
I am always seeking ways to understand and to reach clients with eating disorders. Your blog, articles and comments on the data are a tremendous help to me and my clients. Thanks so much and Happy RD Day to you too!

Kathie Mattison,MS,RD,LD
www.eatingexpertsonline.com

Renata said...

Thanks for helping us make sense of all this information! Happy RD Day.

Liz Marr, MS, RD said...

Hi Monica,
Until today's blogfest, I was unware what a valuable resource your blog is for the many individuals using psychiatric medications as well as health care providers. Since psych meds are showing themselves to be so useful in the treatment of many mental health conditions, your online resource will probably continue to grow in importance.
Happy RD Day!

Liz

Diana Dyer said...

Monika,
Thank you for being a pioneer in this area of need for so many people, including RDs! Knowledge is power - thanks for sharing it.
Happy RD Day. :-)

Diana Dyer, MS, RD
www.CancerRD.com
www.dianadyer.blogspot.com
www.365DaysofKale.blogspot.com

Edible Nutrition said...

So glad that you have such a specialized role in dietetics! I appreciate all that you do with PCOS!