Sunday, May 25, 2008

I'd like to introduce you to some of my other writing!

I've been a little quiet here, haven't I? Here in Phoenix we had a wacky weather week, starting out in the triple digits and then plummeting to the point where I had to turn my heat on a couple of mornings. Knowing just what kind of scorching rebound is just around the corner, and knowing I'll be hiding out inside, working to avoid the heat, I decided to drop the work for a few days, get some great long runs in on those wonderfully cool mornings, and hole up with a few reads that had absolutely nothing to do with neurons, medications, or medical diagnoses. If you're looking for a novel that will start you out laughing, then catch you completely by surprise with the premise that suddenly shows up mid-book, check out Life of Pi. I sat down with my morning coffee today and I only looked up because one of my cats jumped on the sofa to remind me I'd forgotten her lunchtime treat. Great way to spend a lazy Sunday!

Anyway...

...I have also been non-blogging because I've been updating some of my consumer booklets. I thought I'd share a couple of sample pages from the three most popular here in case any of you are interested.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
I do most of my work with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), the #1 cause of infertility in the US, which is related to several mental health issues and often exacerbated with the administration of psychiatric medications. Here is a sample from the 30 page booklet:

















Depression
I decided to write this booklet because most information I found about depression was, well....depressing! Most of it focused on external reasons for being depressed, and very little educated about hormones, neurons, and the disease process that depression truly is. I wanted to empower people with depression to view their diagnosis as something as neutral to discuss as high blood pressure, not something to be embarrassed about. I also wanted to share a lot of ideas for preventing or recovering from depression that did not involve prescription medications.

These .jpg files are coming out a little small, but if you copy them and enlarge them you can hopefully see them.
















Post-traumatic Stress Disorder

This booklet came about after 9/11. I felt very helpless sitting all the way out here in Phoenix when one college classmate had to make her way down 75 flights of stairs to safety, while another was conducting a meeting in the Pentagon when the building was hit. This was initially part of my own grief process, but it's turned out to be useful to people with PTSD from a number of different causes.

An interesting note about the booklet: I originally wanted to use clip arts depicting different cultures from all around the world as a way to communicate togetherness during a crisis. However, I could not find a single clip art of a Muslim in traditional dress participating in a modern day activity. I figured that using the art that I found would only make things worse...so I came up with "Plan B", which was to engage my nephews in the illustration work. I think it was meant to be illustrated by them all along, because the most frequent comment I get about the book is that the children's art really softens the message and makes it a lot easier to read about something that is very hard to experience, let alone discuss.

What we would do without the children in our world!

Here is a sample page:


This last one is my absolute favorite, but it's a little difficult to market. I never feel it's appropriate to try to sell something to a person who's in pain...so I have this one on my website in the hopes that friends and loved ones will find it.
If you know people who you think might benefit, perhaps you can let them know about it.

All of these items can be ordered in my bookstore, at
http://yhst-34497545168533.stores.yahoo.net/consumer-publications.html

I hope you all are enjoying your holiday and doing as much socializing and non-work as I am...I need to finish up my novel tomorrow, and then it's back to reading and writing about research.

See you later in the week!

No comments: